DIY Backband & Thigh Strap Kits
DIY Backband & Thigh Strap Kits
Pay in 4 interest-free installments of $16.25 using ShopPay
Add comfort, performance, and control to your Alpacka Raft with our backband and/or thigh strap kits. Please read the descriptions below as we have several options available depending on your paddling experience and needs.
Notes: These kits are for DIY installation only and do not include installation instructions. You should have experience installing permanent attachments to your packraft and how to locate the various attachment points if you purchase a self install kit. We offer Factory Retrofit Installations for backbands and thigh straps for some models.
Upgrade the comfort and performance of your packraft with a backband and our patented 4-point thigh straps. Our custom foam backband weighs only 7.2oz (200g) and is specifically designed for packrafts. Our patented 4-point thigh straps offer significantly better control, comfort, and rolling ability than a standard 2-point thigh strap and are the lightest and most compact thigh straps available. Please read the descriptions below carefully as we have several different options depending on your boat setup and paddling needs:
- Option 1 - Backband Only (For Boats with Preinstalled D- Rings): Our custom foam backband is a perfect upgrade for improving back support and comfort regardless of whether you are a flat water or whitewater paddler. The backband is compatible with packrafts that have D-Rings installed in the hip area and strap plates installed in the stern, including all 2017 Alpacka Series Models. If you do not have pre-installed D-Rings, you can get them with the 'Backband with D-Ring Attachment Kit' (Option 2)
- Option 2 - Backband with D-Ring Attachment Kit (Self Install): This kit includes both our custom foam backband and 1-inch aluminum D-Rings attached to a heavy duty base that you can self install with a quality urethane compatible glue. You will need this kit to install a backband in any model that does not have preinstalled D-rings.
- Option 3 - Thigh Straps (For Boats with Preinstalled 4-point Attachments and Backband) - Our 4-point thigh straps are compatible with all 2016 Alpacka Series Self Bailing models and all 2017 and later Whitewater Series models. The straps come standard on all 2107 and later Whitewater Series Models, so you should only purchase these if you lost your set or want a spare. If you do not have one of these models, you will need to select the 'Thigh Strap with Attachment Kit' (Option 4) or 'Backband and Thigh Straps with Attachment Kit' (Option 6) which include self install attachment points. Please tell us in your order notes which model you are buying these for so that we can make sure to give you the correct buckles.
- Option 4 - Thigh Straps with Attachment Kit (Self Install) - This kit includes both our 4-point thigh straps and the attachment points for the knees and ankles, which you can self install with a quality urethane compatible glue. The kit does not include the hip attachment points as the thigh straps should be used with a backband and attached to the backband attachment points at the hips.
- Option 5 - Backband and Thigh Straps Set (For Boats with Preinstalled 4-point Attachments) - Includes both our custom foam backband and 4-point thigh straps, but no attachment points. The set is compatible with the attachment points on 2016 Alpacka Series Self Bailer models and 2017 and later Whitewater Series models. Both the backband and thigh straps come standard on all 2017 and later Whitewater Series Models, so you should only purchase these if you lost your set or want a spare. If you do not have one of these models, you will need to buy one of the options that include self install attachment points. Also, please tell us in your order notes which model you are buying these for so that we can make sure to give you the correct buckles.
- Option 6 - Backband and Thigh Straps Set with Attachment Kit (Self Install) - This kit includes everything you need except the glue to install a backband and our 4-point thigh straps in a packraft that doesn't have any preinstalled attachment points. The kit includes the backband, thigh straps, D-Ring hip attachments, top attachments, and ankle attachments.
WARNING - Installing thigh straps in your packraft has the potential risk of serious injury and death, including but not limited to impairing your ability to exit the packraft in the event of a capsize. Consult and follow all precautions and warnings in the Alpacka Raft Owner's Manual and Safety Warning prior to beginning your packrafting adventures.